How to preserve your art work in a picture frame
made in america
Introduction: Preserving your artwork is essential to ensure its longevity and maintain its visual appeal over time. One of the key elements in safeguarding your artwork is selecting an appropriate picture frame and employing proper care and maintenance techniques. In this article, we will explore valuable tips on how to preserve your artwork in a picture frame, ensuring its protection and enjoyment for years to come.
- Choose the Right Frame: When selecting a frame for your artwork, consider factors such as material, size, and style. Opt for frames made of archival-quality materials, such as acid-free wood, metal, or synthetic materials. These materials are less likely to degrade or harm your artwork over time. Additionally, ensure that the frame size matches your artwork’s dimensions to provide proper support and prevent bending or warping.
- Use Acid-Free Matting and Mounting: To further protect your artwork, consider using acid-free matting and mounting materials. Acidic materials can cause discoloration and degradation over time. Acid-free mats, backing boards, and archival tapes provide a barrier between the artwork and the frame, reducing the risk of damage.
- Protect from UV Radiation: Ultraviolet (UV) radiation can cause fading and deterioration of artwork. Protect your artwork by using glazing materials that offer UV protection, such as UV-filtering glass or acrylic. These materials block a significant portion of harmful UV rays while allowing your artwork to be enjoyed without compromising its integrity.
- Handle with Care: When handling your artwork or placing it in the frame, ensure your hands are clean and dry. Oils, dirt, and moisture can transfer onto the artwork, potentially causing stains or damage. Hold the artwork by its edges or use clean, lint-free gloves to minimize contact with the surface. Avoid touching the front of the artwork, especially if it is delicate or contains sensitive mediums like pastels or charcoal.
- Proper Hanging and Display: Choose an appropriate location for displaying your framed artwork, considering factors such as humidity, temperature, and exposure to direct sunlight. Avoid hanging frames in areas prone to excessive moisture or temperature fluctuations, such as bathrooms or near heating vents. Direct sunlight can cause fading and damage, so opt for well-lit areas without direct exposure to UV rays. Use sturdy hanging hardware and follow proper installation techniques to ensure the frame is securely mounted.
- Regular Cleaning and Maintenance: Dust and debris can accumulate on the frame’s surface, affecting its appearance and potentially transferring onto the artwork. Regularly clean the frame using a soft, lint-free cloth or a feather duster to remove dust and dirt. Avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the frame or glazing. If necessary, consult a professional conservator for guidance on cleaning and maintenance.
- Periodic Inspection and Conservation: Regularly inspect your framed artwork for any signs of damage, such as mold, pests, or discoloration. If you notice any issues, consult a professional art conservator who can assess and address the problem effectively. Conservation treatments, such as cleaning, stabilization, or re-framing, may be necessary to maintain the artwork’s integrity.
Conclusion: Preserving your artwork in a picture frame requires careful consideration and proper care. By selecting the right frame, utilizing archival materials, protecting from UV radiation, handling with care, displaying appropriately, and performing regular cleaning and maintenance, you can ensure the longevity and beauty of your artwork. Remember, when in doubt, consult a professional art conservator for expert advice and assistance in preserving your cherished pieces.
We are a family owned and operated picture frame shop. My wife and I have been building frames together for ten+ happy years. We specialize in extra wide mouldings and have several different styles and colors to choose from.
Find out about our latest sale by entering your email below: